Thursday, September 10, 2009

As A Big Sister Should Be...


So, obviously I haven't posted in years...okay, so months, but it feels like years. Anyway, I've pretty much decided that as a mother of five busy little ones, I have to cut out some of the things that I do that distract me from being a better mommy, and one of them is blogging. Not that blogging is a terrible thing or anything, in fact I've been able to learn so much and benefitted from the many blogs that I've wandered on to over the past year and a half since I discovered the world of blogging. It's just that as many of you may know, blogging can be so addicting and time consuming!! And well, to be honest, free time isn't something that I have a lot of anymore. When I do have time to spare, or when I stay up extra late to try and get something done, I've been finding myself doing things like sewing, looking at or taking pictures or shopping for the best deals or figuring out what present I can make and give to someone...all things that I do to feed my monster that craves to be told that he has accomplished something good, something worthwhile and has reason to be proud. Which brings me to the topic of this post.

So I was talking to my older sister on the phone the other day and I was telling her what I could make for her to give to her friend when she has her baby. The day before I had finished making a wipes case and a changing pad that I was pretty excited about, and I was telling her about my new found hobby of sewing. She said to me that she thought it was cool that I had something that I did for myself and I had things I did besides just get lost in the lives of my kids. She went on to tell me that she just lives for her kids and all she ever does is stuff for her kids. Well, knowing my sister, I know that this is totally true and although she was saying it as if it was a bad thing, in my mind I was thinking how cool it was and how I wish I could be more like her.

Now I'm not saying that as a mother you should never do anything for yourself or be totally overly consumed with your kids and their lives, but I will say that having them as your priority is definitely a good thing. In fact, this is really the reason why I started this blog in the first place, to convince or remind me and anyone else who cared to listen, that being a mother is a most wonderful accomplishment and something that deserves great applause and commending and praise. I think, at least for me anyway, that it's so easy to get lost in the everyday things of the world that sometimes it's too easily forgotten that our sacred role as mothers is the most amazing and wonderful thing that we can be devoting our time and attentions to. It took my sister to remind me of this again when we had our conversation the other night. There she was, as a big sister should be, a great example to me and a reminder of what is most important, my children. After all, when all is said and done, what would I most want people to remember or say about me? Certainly not "She really could sew," or "She sure could take great pictures" or "Do you remember that time when she got that sweet deal on that $70 blessing outfit for only $3.50?" Now, I'm not saying that I can sew or take great pictures, but I do get some great deals, lol ;) Anyway, what I do hope someone will say about me is "She was a great mom." Ultimately that is my biggest goal in life, but it is so easy to become distracted by all the many other things that are out there pulling me in so many directions. Blogging for me is one of those things, and that's why I've decided to close this blog, for now anyway. Obviously it's not like I've spent much time blogging on this blog in the past nine months, but just having it in the back of my mind knowing that it's here for me to blog on just leaves one more thing on my to do list left undone. So, if I officially say "I'm done" I'll feel better about not posting. I think I might have one more post brewing, but after that I'll be done.

In the meantime, thanks to my big sis. Thanks for the reminder on how wonderful and commendable it is to be a mother and to live to make your kids happy and comfortable. That is what Tara does and I love her and am grateful for her amazing example to me on how to be "a great mom."


3 comments:

Jamie Neva Morris said...

Sweet,I'm glad Tara helped you out! But just so you know, you are a good mom and you devote plenty of time to your children. You just have a few other addictions that like to take over once in awhile. ;) Don't stop your sewing and pictures, just don't get so consumed in them when you do them. Just learn to space and manage. You are a beautiful ordinary mother and don't ever forget that. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

okay so can I just bawl right now. I think I needed to hear everything you just wrote...so please tell you sister thanks for me too!!! I need to spend more "real" time with my kids! Thanks for making me really think about the things I spend my time on and the things that are really important...I love you!!! You really are a wonderful example and a great mom!!!

Anonymous said...

P.S. I totally don't blame you for closing this blog...I have enjoyed every moment of it, but you have to do what works best for you!