Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Random Acts of Kindness

When I was in high school we were required to perform one random act of kindness a week for our Leadership Class. So I did. Sometimes they were definitely random, even sometimes a bit strange, usually they were simple, but always the recipient was grateful. So I had the opportunity to perform a random act of kindness this past weekend at a football game. My little Kambrie helped me out and we were able to make a difference in a family's night out at the game. It was a great feeling. Something that was so simple to me, I think made a big difference to them. I was happy that I acted on the feeling that I had to reach out and put into action the thought that had come into my mind. So many times I miss an opportunity to do something, even little as it may seem, that could help make a difference in someone's day.

Last Thursday I had the thought that I needed to write my Grandma a letter. I felt that it was important, so I did it right away. In the letter I expressed my heartfelt love and gratitude for her and the example she had been to me, along with the wonderful positive impact she has had on my life. I have truly been blessed to have her as my grandma and I wanted to let her know. Well, my grandma unexpectedly died today, and the letter still sits on my desk along with an envelope full of pictures addressed to Grandma D. Had I sent the letter the day I wrote it, or even the day after, Grandma would have read that letter and got to see the pictures that she so loved to get in the mail.

Although there is nothing I can do to change what happened, I can offer this plea to you. Act on those thoughts. Carry out those random acts. Do them as you are prompted. They will make a difference, I am sure.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every once in awhile I read a blog post that changes the way I look at the world a bit - it happened to me just now, as you shared your joy (at helping others) and pain (at an opportunity missed). I've been having one of those weeks where I wonder what the purpose is in doing all this laundry, sweeping the constantly crumby floor, forever unloading the dishwasher. What difference am I making in the world? But your post reminded me that if I can just look outside myself the tiniest bit I have the power to be a force for good. Thank you.

Brooke said...

Your post is amazing! It's one that made me smile and also made me cry. I too feel that one should always listen to that prompting, no matter how small a prompting it is. My heart goes out to you for your loss, and as a friend I think of you daily.

Beautifully Ordinary Mother said...

Lauren, I so know what you mean when you talk about the daily duties of motherhood. It's so easy to feel as if you could be spending your time doing things that are more useful. Just remember that doing those mothering duties can and does make a difference in the world, the world of your children. After all, is there anything more important than that? You're an amazing mom. I know it.

Beautifully Ordinary Mother said...

Brooke, you are awesome at always listening to those promptings. I hope I can get as good at it as you. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers and the card. It meant so much to me.

Anonymous said...

I have had a rough day today, and I am strengthened by your post and the comments that have been left. Sometimes I just want to give up because I feel like there is no way that my kids feel enough love from me. But I know that when we rely on the one person who knows us the best that we can be the kind of mom's we need and want so much to be. I am so sorry for your loss. It is not fun to loose those who are close to us...however with our knowledge of the truth we can know that it is not the end...only a break in time until we see our sweet loved ones again. Love you girl.

Jen-ben said...

Oh my goodness...that reminds me of that movie "The Mailbox" from way back when about the Grandma loving to get mail. We watched it in Primary. I still remember how sad it made me feel.
It's amazing to me how so many whisperings of the spirit I brush aside, always assuming I have time, or that it's not really an "inspired" feeling.
Thanks so much for the reminder!